Saturday, January 13, 2007

Choices: Good or Greed

Yes, this is what it is coming down to: Charles D. Stimson, the deputy assistant secretary of defense for detainee affairs has drawn a line in the sand. In an interview Thursday on Federal News Radion, Mr. Stimson said that he was dismayed that lawyers at many of the nation’s top firms were representing prisoners at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, and that the firms’ corporate clients should consider ending their business ties.

Stimson listed those firms who are actually doing the correct, ethical act of representing people - and by listing the names of those firms, he places a big fat bullseye on those firms. Stimson cited the Freedom of Information Act request submitted by Monica Crowley, a conservative syndicated talk show host, asking for the names of all the lawyers and law firms representing Guantánamo detainees in federal court cases.

A core American value disintegrates before our eyes: to treat ALL people equally before the law. To assume innocence until proven guilty. Even Attorney General Alberto Gonzales is in favor of this representation: said he had no problem with the current system of representation. “Good lawyers representing the detainees is the best way to ensure that justice is done in these cases,” he said.

But the Defense Department, through Mr. Stimson, has drawn a line in the sand: “I think, quite honestly, when corporate C.E.O.’s see that those firms are representing the very terrorists who hit their bottom line back in 2001, those C.E.O.’s are going to make those law firms choose between representing terrorists or representing reputable firms, and I think that is going to have major play in the next few weeks. And we want to watch that play out.” (emphasis mine.)

So basically, Mr. Stimson has given corporate America the directive, to choose between Good, or their Greed.

I don't know about you, but I weep.

9 comments:

Peacechick Mary said...

I loved the book, Street Lawyer by John Grishom. I hope this incident turns out just as well as the outcome in the book; albeit there will no doubt be lots of drama. I think CEOs understand that big firms always seek high visibility pro bono work. Any CEOs who choose to abandon these firms will be going to less honorable firms and that means a downgrade of integrity.

SB Gypsy said...

Good or Greed?

I'm hoping that Mr Stimpson will find out that more people are choosing good than greed. Too many have figured out that the Repubs are only for themselves, and represent the greed. People are starting to demand the good be spread around a little more evenly.

Anonymous said...

Whose going to be this guys lawyer when he has to face final judgment?

Donnie McDaniel said...

Ah yes, insanity just keeps rearing its ugly head.

Tina said...

I read this yesterday and felt sick. Our very system of justice MUST defend suspects... regardless of whether anybody likes them or thinks they are despicable. I openly endorse capital punishment for a very amount of limited offenders: pedophile murderers being at the very top of my small list. But no matter how much I despise them, they certainly deserve and MUST have an adequate defense given to them, especially since I only want truly guilty offenders to suffer such an extreme punishment for their extremely heinous crimes. Just who exactly does Stimson and his merry band of self righteous pr*cks think they are to toss our entire justice system over the cliff?

Anonymous said...

Remember--this is the group for whom the Constitution is a goddam piece of paper.

Isn't that enough for impeachment?

Are you going to the rally in DC March 17??

Anonymous said...

what Stimson is doing seems to be a form of econmomic terrorism.
I'm going to do my best to be in DC March 17

DivaJood said...

PC Mary, I hope you are right. However, we have been experiencing a decent into totalitarianism with tragic echoes of Nazi Germany. While the law firms know that they gain a lot from the high-profile pro-bono work, there is a risk to their bottom line, as now laid out by Stimson.

SB Gypsy, again, I hope you are right. I am not so confident.

Frederick, I sometimes wonder if these neocons are actually human, you know what I mean?

Donnie, we are really in a huge nightmare, aren't we?

Tina, I oppose capital punishment in all cases. It is not a deterrant, nor does it solve anything. And, once upon a time, all people were to be treated equally under the law. They had a right to know their accuser; they had a right to know what they were accused of; they had a right to a speedy trial; and they had a right to have proper defense. If they could not afford a lawyer, one would be appointed. Oh, wait. That's when we actually followed the Constitution...

Lulu Maude, I am unable to go to DC on March 17, as I will be heading to Chicago for my granddaughter's second birthday. However, I am putting people on planes, and booking hotels, so that they can have a means to get there and a place to stay. I did go out onto Carson & Avalon Blvds Thursday night for the street rally in Los Angeles.

Tree, it is definately a form of economic terrorism.

IMPEACH NOW.

Anonymous said...

I understand Stimson has "apologized"....after the damage has been done. How have we allowed this to happen to our country? I join you in your tears.