Sunday, June 04, 2006

It's never too late

Started my improv class yesterday at LA ComedySportz. Two and one half hours of blistering fun. Improv is about being completely committed and in the present; in that sense it is something of a spiritual experience.

I've wanted to do this since I was in High School, where I took every drama class offered. Painting, and theater -- those were all I wanted to pursue. My parents were dead set against me doing anything on stage; they allowed me to pursue an art minor while studying something more "acceptable" in college. I dropped out after 2 years, moved to Israel, got married, moved back to the states, and raised a family. After years, I went back to school -- to The School, majoring in studio arts, went on to get an MFA from UIC and had a growing career as a painter. Divorce ensued, then a long road to finding my way, until now at 57 years of age, I am finally taking a class I've wanted to take for forty years.

It is never too late to follow a dream. I had so much fun in my first class -- it was a safe place to learn. There are three levels, my intention is to take all levels, and perform a few times a year with the senior level (as in class level, not age level) -- it stretches me.

How many of us pursue a dream defered? What are they?

2 comments:

Kim Tyler said...

I'm so happy that you are going for your dreams. I'm doing the aame, taking art classes and doing some improv, and the joy is immense! I hate to think of the years we both wasted waiting to be free enough to do this. It's great that you have made your intention so clear, and that you will keep on with the improv. It is a terrific way to stretch yourself, explore what is inside, and leap over your fears! Good going!!

DivaJood said...

Hi Sigrid -- it's not a career change but it is opening all kinds of avenues for me. Somehow I think that those years aren't wasted, but really necessary for some of us to find our path.